Today’s Guest

Podio Partners

Episode Summary

This extra special episode of Supercharged! presents a live Podio Developer round-table, hosted and moderated by our host Jordan Samuel Fleming.

This great event was organised by the awesome guys at Brick Bridge Consulting (check out their excellent Podio podcast here) and the title sponsor was TECHeGO. Other sponsors included smrtPhone (the only cloud phone system built for Citrix Podio),  and our friends at Quivvy Tools.

This special “virtual” conference was organised to replace the normal “real life conferences we hold in Europe and North America. This round table featured a number of long-time Podio developers and partners (including Seth Helgeson, Pallabi from Citrix and Mike Dumunter from Quivvy) and is a great peak behind the curtains at the thriving and active community.

Sorry it was cut short!

Show Links:
Brick Bridge Consulting
TECHeGO
Quivvy Tools
Try out smrtPhone for free for 30 Days
Want to be on the show? 
Register Now

Listen Now

Audio Transcription

Narrator 0:00
Welcome to Powered by Podio…automation is everything….supercharge your business with podio. Get ready for another episode of Supercharged! with Jordan Samuel Fleming, your weekly dive into the awesome impact workflow and automation can have on your business when it’s Powered by Podio. Join us each week as we learn from the top Podio partners in the world as we investigate system integrations and add ons and hear from real business owners who have implemented Podio into their business. Now, join your host Jordan Samuel Fleming, CEO of Gamechangers for this week’s episode.

Jordan Fleming 0:45
Hey, everybody, and welcome to this week’s very special edition of Supercharged! I’m your host, Jordan Samuel Fleming. And this week, it’s a little bit different as we have a roundtable that was recently recorded at the virtual international podio developers meeting, we did a Podio conference for people who are podio partners and people who are heavily interested in Podio development as a COVID replacement for the in person meetings that we’ve been holding in Europe for the past four or five years, and also started holding in North America. Last year, we had planned to host these two very, very fun events again this year. But of course, with the restrictions that have gone on with COVID-19, we elected to make everything virtual, that did give us a chance to bring a whole bunch of fantastic people in so that they could talk about what they’re doing with Podio. So they could demonstrate solutions and add ons. We had Citrix come in and give us some fantastic sessions on on what’s going on there. And and what some of the key developments they’ve been working on. So I really, it’s really been a fantastic experience this year, making it virtual. And I want to thank the guys at brick bridge consulting, who did such a great job at organising it, and really took the lead on that far more than I did. So this is a round table. It’s got a bunch of people in there, you’ll see their names, I’ll put most of them into the podcast description. It’s a great opportunity to just listen in on some chat between very experienced podio hands, some areas of concern we’ve got, but also some just really interesting discussions around podio the ecosystem and what we’re all doing. So without further ado, welcome to this week’s podcast.

Gil Roberts 2:52
Today’s Community Roundtable is Podio’s journey. It’s going to be hosted by Jordan Fleming of the Supercharged! podcast if you if you have not subscribed to this podcast, shame, shame, shame, shame on you. Jordan’s podcast, we run a podcast here Brick Bridge we listen to Jordans podcast, it’s the best. we were destined to do these podcasts together we

Jordan Fleming 3:12
same day. Right? Right. I

Gil Roberts 3:14
know lately that there’s a whole story behind that are in was funny not know each other. Really. We didn’t really talk to each other. And we we had plan launches on the same day and I’ll make a quick noe cuz it’s kind of funny. I was driving up to the grocery store. It was Super Bowl Sunday driving around and some beer grabbing some chips, right? And I see a post about this podcast about to get launched, and I swore it was from my own team. Right? And it’s like, why are you guys posting this? We’re posting this tomorrow? Because we were gonna watch it on Monday. Sure enough, not it’s you what I the first thing I did was messeng you Jordan. So like, this is all

Jordan Fleming 3:55
we’ve…we’ve coordinated ever since as well. I mean, there’s no you know, I mean, it’s the more we can get the word out there and the more we can have different you know, viewpoints and feedback and and perspectives about podio the better. And we you know, immediately you I remember, you know, I thought oh, this is a great idea that great minds, but the two podcasts dovetail nicely together, I think as well.

Gil Roberts 4:27
Well, we definitely cover I know, immediately, we figured out that we kind of cover it’s obviously the same topic polio but we definitely cover differently. We I know you have a lot more interviews and interesting guests and use cases. We do a lot more of the technical side of things and a little bit like into the business side. So I think it’s a it’s a wonderful mix. If people have not subscribed to your podcast or ours again, shame on you do it. It’s It’s wonderful for for your professional ability. Okay. Jordan, I’m gonna let you take over here to discuss we’ve given you who’s who’s with us. So we got Pallabi, we have Mike, we have Seth, with you on your Roundtable. So, George, there’s some great content to get you started. So we’ll take it from here.

Jordan Fleming 5:20
Yeah, well, I mean, it’s, it’s gonna be interesting. You know, these roundtables and discussions are always interesting. And, you know, last year, we, when we met up in Copenhagen, as Seth said, You know, I don’t want to start with a negative, but we made these same points a year ago. And and unfortunately, you know, there’s been no movement at all on them. When I think that’s gonna be that’s bad for performance, from a podio platform perspective, and from the great amount of user capabilities that these would these would actually provide. I’d be curious, I mean, if we, if we start out, I remember the discussion we had last year, one of the things was, you know, a real discussion around how much people use calculation fields for actual calculations, versus for every other functionality that they do, whether it’s a markdown table, or anything else, you know, Seth, what, what’s your your view? I mean, I view in a calculation as like an actual calculation, the sum of this number or, or, you know, summing up a ledger of finance items, so that we get the total, what do you think in terms of usage of calculations fields, for that purpose versus everything else we all use him for?

Seth Helgeson 6:52
Yeah, sothe the calculation fields, I mean, since being around since really kind of the beginning, as well, and watching that transition from what they become turning in from, what is it a concatenation style fields into now now, what they’re, you know, tables and roll ups and drop downs. And we’ve, we’ve, our team was very, very heavily vested in and showing that, that at all of know, it was required, right, because we started doing some enterprise systems and doing some accounting, and we come to find out the values are missing, and the offsets for were completely messed up. And so trying to vet out those types of things, when you’re trying to build those massive systems is great. But, you know, now it’s, it’s so now widely used because of, you know, the word’s gotten out of what you can do and accomplish with it. For us, whenever we set up a new client space, we turn those into read only apps. So basically, you know, each item that a client project is, is, within our main project management space, each client item is shared with that space as a read only version. And so we’re installing basically an app that has only one relationship field to the, to the, to the parent item, and then all the other fields or calc fields, then just populate the data. So they can see the statuses, they can see everything else they can make comments or at mentioned, but they can actually change or create any new items. And so, in essence, that’s really a lot of the ways we do that the reporting roll ups and become, you know, basically so unreliable or actually so slow, that some of these massive tables for like, for example, Cirque du Soleil, or Stanford University, or even GE Healthcare, those roll up tables had to get broken out and completely set up on separate services. And, you know, they’ve said, you know, if this doesn’t work, we know where we want. Now, we’ve actually defined the reports, this is exactly how we want it to work. But this is just not reliable enough for us to actually continue with it. So these enterprise customers that we continue to manage, are now saying, let’s just move this off into another product, which is it uses a shame, right?

Jordan Fleming 8:57
Well, and we’ve certainly found, I think that, you know, where it’s critical, where a calculation, I mean, a real calculation, like, show me the sum of x, right, or whatever, when it comes to finance, if it’s that critical, then we use a, you know, we will use a number field or a single to a number field with a globiflow filling it in. And that’s nonsense. Like that’s like that. That’s, you know, and I think that’s certainly a you know, I think the things that you mentioned in that in your post, I think they’re as critical today, if not more, as they were a year ago. And I only see it as a win from a Citrix point of view.

Seth Helgeson 9:40
Yes, it’s our compounding interest. And you know, we have compounding interest in it. But with that exponential growth, we’re just having exponential compounding of those issues, which you know, where I’ll able to see, you know, those morning routines that keep you know, plaguing us and Andrew Cranston you pointed out every morning which is pretty fantastic. But you know, if we could find the people that are actually doing this, we would want to go Roe Sham bo them. And, you know, kick him in the groyne to say, What What are you doing? Because you’re actually impacting all of us. And you know, that used to be me. And and when the guys identified it was me. You know, it was set out of here.

Jordan Fleming 10:18
Exactly. Right.

Seth Helgeson 10:20
You guys kicked me out of the partner programme. shitty. But But literally, that’s when you start to abuse the system as partners. It’s like, well, it’s like a fair use policy. Let’s Let’s not impact everybody else, because it’s paying for

Jordan Fleming 10:33
accidental abuse a lot of times

Seth Helgeson 10:35
Exactly. Yeah, exactly.

Jordan Fleming 10:36
Oh, I would say most times, it’s accidental abuse. So I mean, the calculation thing, I think is is is there’s no question I want to take a slightly different mic, please chime in, or Gil or any Pallabi any anyone else. But I want to sort of redirect because it’s, you know, we could keep going down the, you know, calculation, I think we all know, and I agree with you seth. And I think we should make sure that you know, and we should take that same list and say come on guys, please. But one thing I see a lot of on the globiflow board boards, you know, and I laugh usually on the internally, because you can set your watch it every three months, someone will come up and and bitch about the podio not moving on. You know, which I always usually defend? Um, because then I don’t want to defend it here in the sense of what do we think everybody always says we need to put we need, you know, new options for for columns in podio. And ability to rearrange design and things like that. I’m actually kind of on the other side of that. Whereas I think having a structured UI is a good thing and a better thing. And a restrictive thing is good. What do you guys think about that? What do you think about the way we’re able to lay out apps in the future? How we should we should focus on that? somewhere?

Gil Roberts 12:05
Not? I got a quick feedback. It definitely it’s been a little while since the UI has had a refresh for sure. I mean, it’s there’s been a lot of changes since I’ve been a user from 2012. forward. I think there’s some improvements that can be made. I’ll make somewhat of a counter argument that myself and my business partner Alex Shull, kind of talked about, it’s we kind of like things to stay a little bit the same. But there are some serious improvements that that need to happen from an app layout standpoint. I’m going to point to the section headers, of course, but I’m not not because of calculation fields. But really our ability to pretty up that item, I’ll call it where the fields are just maybe move those around, move them into columns. I think that’s probably one of the biggest requests rather than a straight up and down page. Well, one

Mike Demunter 13:03
thing Yeah, the

Seth Helgeson 13:03
one thing on that point, I’d like to jump on to that as well as and I’m sorry to interrupt there. But the the merging of convert, sorry, the the Citrix workspace app builder for the micro app builder. And how you can actually design your app to have the structured layout and buttons and these types of things in place, in addition to the fields. For example, when you import a value into the micro apps, you have the ability to create a table. And basically, in my presentation, next I’ll be showing how how we can leverage that. And they’re basically the same. So I think, a Citrix workspace style micro app builder interface that we can actually improve the builder and improve the functionality of the the podio app builder, but also use the podio apps, as micro apps inside of workspaces going to be a game-changer. Yeah,

Jordan Fleming 13:58
I would I would tend to agree with you, Seth, on that, I think, you know, there’s simply I have my podcast actually dropped today, where the latest one and one of the discussions we had miss the fact that there’s simply no other product in the market that can give you the power of podio for the price of podio. And all we need to do is level up a few things. And, and you’re right again, just watch out. Yep. Yeah, you’re you’ve lapped, you know, and you’ve left and one of the things I find most, you know, I’ve been thinking a lot about recently is how many clicks it takes someone to do anything. Right? How the more you The more you make people move around things. And and or you have to go to different places, the more you sometimes lose, you lose novices and it makes it makes the up. Take up your Systems harder. So I think we all try when we when certainly as partners, I think we all try and design as clean a system as we can. But the user interface just being levelled up a little would allow us to take it even that step further, I think. Without question, oh, yeah, mice mode

Seth Helgeson 15:19
activated. Good mic.

Mike Demunter 15:22
Yeah. Yeah, kind of agreeing on that. Personally, I would not ask for huge changes to the, to the interface just like little things in which in my imagination would only take podio, like half a developer half a day, fix them, like the second set of non set or, or indeed, like some some visual cues and the app builder, stuff like that. It doesn’t have to be I’ve come back from the point of wanting podio to constantly do new features, new stuff. I don’t actually want too much of new features that just fix some some really hardpoint issues, get them fixed. And, and it will indeed level up the whole thing experience so much. Yeah, I’ll with you guys with that.

Pallabi 16:10
Oh, I would agree. And I’ll also say that PS, the UI for podio. Today is not a 2020. UI. Right. So we understand that. And on last year, I guess we had shown a few designs about when we take a visual rebranding for podio. So we had got a bit of good feedback as well then that, yes, people are interested in that deep learning, some people may not be much interested, like they are more focused on the power of podio. And the UI does not matter much. But I guess 80 to 90% of the chunk of the people that we interviewed really liked it. And one thing that we did ensure, and that is we would not be changing experience altogether, because we don’t want to want people to be confused when you come to podio and start figuring out, okay, how do I do this new thing? Right, it’s just the rebranding or just some use of some fresh colours, and make it like, you know, more 2020 so that people who come into the product, don’t feel that okay, it has not been worked on for the last eight years. It there have been improvements, but it may not be that visible on the UI. So that is definitely one track. And calculations and views. I recall that from the last meetings be calculations, like Seth mentioned that we had a long discussion. And along with calculation, also the views of the filtered views, the automated views that are getting created whenever new category features added. So I think these two have were the major chunk of the improvements that I had collected. And I’ve also shared them with our engineering team, we have had multiple rounds of discussion, right? The only reason we have not been able to deliver it yet is because we had more bigger items like the two factor authentication, which was which took us a long time to get it out there. And at the same time, Citrix understanding the value of podio and having them podio micro apps delivered on workspace, so we could not lose out on the opportunity. Right, we had to grab onto it. And we had to do stuff so that we could prove ourselves that yes, we are valuable enough for workspace and the workspace customers as well. Right. So with all these parallel tracks going on, we continued investment podio, mostly on the infrastructure like the we had the AWS migration coming in. Then we had other further podio database migration also coming in, there were security updates that were going in. And because of that, we were not able to, you know, take out these calculation and views stuff. So far. So I hear you and I myself, and I’m getting excited as to how soon can we get those stuff out there at least part of those tough stuff out there? Because we know that that’s going to add value to each and every user who’s using podio. Right?

Jordan Fleming 19:07
So absolutely, absolutely. And we also appreciate that there’s a there’s a huge amount of you know, it sounds simple, make a small change. But when you’re dealing with 1.4 billion workflows, and 6 million users, you know, you also can’t have everything break. So I you know, I get that, um, I guess, kind of coming back to, you know, some of the other kind of points that are being raised around, you know, getting people involved. I, you know, once again, we’re talking about permissioning levels. Now, I’m actually of the view that the permissioning I’ve kind of reconciled with it in some ways that that actually the workspace notion, makes sense to me. And if you started to make So that you could go into workspace and I could see some things and you could see Not I, you know that it made maybe that isn’t such a good thing. But we’re What do you guys think? from a permissioning point of view? What are the what would be the key things that you’d want to, to look at or address and why

Seth Helgeson 20:17
I would love to see at the space law, and I’m sorry to jump right in there. I’m super opinionated,

Jordan Fleming 20:22
you always do seth!

Seth Helgeson 20:23
I know, I know. Sorry.And you can you can tell me to shut up too. But like, give somebody else a chance, dude. But one thing I would love to see is, at a workspace level, when actually go in and edit a workspace, I could see the apps and I could click on a user and say, allow these user to have access to only these apps inside of a space. And then when they go into that app, they would only be able to see the spaces that you’ve designated, they can access. I mean, I think that would be pretty cool. Mike?

Mike Demunter 20:51
Yeah, kind of fair, I think it’s asked a lot for app access instead of workspace app says, Don’t worry, we’re not asking for the moon there. I know. It’s probably quite hard to implement. I understand that. But but it’s really a much requested feature. Also for us, so yeah, we’d love to see.

Jordan Fleming 21:10
I see. And Gil, sorry, I’ll let you try and help me but I see. I don’t know if Bill, Joel, you know, some of these other guys, Pete’s that I know are very opinionated. If you guys want to

Gil Roberts 21:26
come in, I’ll drag them in, we can do so. They just haven’t spoke up yet or raise their hand. So

Jordan Fleming 21:33
yeah, well, if you guys do want to then chime in, because I mean, obviously this is a you know, this is an area that we all we all here’s what

Gil Roberts 21:43
we’ll do. I know. Pete on bill, Joel. Camille, what’s uh, what will turn your all his mics on since you guys have been pretend Andrew? And he’s there. And yeah, Andrew as well. So we’ll we’ll pull those on right now. So Pete said, Oh,

Jordan Fleming 21:59
and by the way, I don’t mean any disrespect to people I’m not mentioning I just, I know those guys are podio partners and spend a lot of time developing systems. So see a lot of things.

Seth Helgeson 22:09
Yeah, we’re passionate about podio, like sports fighting. I mean, we should be like, really engaged, you know, just everybody chiming in. And let’s do it.

Jordan Fleming 22:16
It’s gonna make for a really, we got some we turn

Gil Roberts 22:19
some of Mike’s on not to leave anybody out. I know Kim, even participating. Just hit us in chat if you if you’d like your mic on.

Jordan Fleming 22:28
Absolutely. anybody, anybody from the new group that we’ve just brought in, have any opinions on either of the things we’ve talked about? To date? on the podcast?

Andrew Cranston 22:41
I’d liketo ask the Pallabi a question perhaps, or Pallabi, and Sarah, with regards to globiflow usage, as the as the gentleman alluded to earlier, there, there has been a kind of a unique situation here this week, where the globiflow hook speed has slowed down, sort of between 12 and six o’clock, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and I’m kind of just watching it here waiting to see if it’s going to happen today. And I know that this stuff can happen sometimes due to the bad neighbour effect, you know, we’re all on the same ecosystem. And back in the day, before globiflow was acquired by podio, there were strict limits on in terms of what you could actually do. And now the limits are kind of soft. And and some of the numbers that have been discussed in the past about like the number of monthly actions that are happening and globiiflow now are in the millions or billions, or whatever it is. So I just I’m curious what what the economic strategy there is basically, leaving globiflow open, almost like a wild wild west, where it’s, it’s essentially, you know, everyone can basically do as many actions as they possibly want to without any hourly limits without any, like, I’ve gotten into situations where I’ve done things by accident, and had like three and four and 5000 actions in one hour. And no, no feedback, no, no, nothing. Right. So So are we seeing a lot of hourly usage that maybe should be curtailed or bad neighbours that should be informed, Hey, get your Get your shit under control before, you know you’re allowed to sort of open wide open again,

Unknown Speaker 24:19
everybody.

Pallabi 24:22
So, we see a bad audience incident instance, like, we see a lot of load on a particular hour on globiiflow, or we see that GlobiFlow is down because of a lot of usage from a single user or single organisation. That’s when we try doing the exception handling with the user directly or reaching out to the orgasming and trying to understand what are they using the flows for? They so that’s something that we do isn’t like handing it on on the day kind of stuff. So it’s not a… we don’t have limits on the number of workflows that can be scheduled for a particular app, right. That’s why it gets into the queue. And it takes those flows from the queue and runs it. But if you’re seeing this, like a lot of actions from a single user, where it may not be intendant, or it, it is just that the user is using it the wrong way. And that’s when we reach it reach out to the user directly and try to figure out like, what’s happening wrong? And what can be corrected there.

Joel Ordesky 25:32
I had a question on that, on the thought of this, this this bad neighbour effect, and certain things happening, you know, that we all see, you know, and I’m gonna answer what I think the answer is, and then you can just shoot me down if I’m wrong. But I think what’s going one of the things that happens that to my question, is we there things that happen, we all know, something’s wrong, it’s like in your face, like, like he said, you know, four days in a row, significant performance reduction, I mean, not minor. I, you know, we’re talking about taking, you know, workflow automation triggers up to you know, 50 60 seconds, that’s, that’s degradative service, right? It The problem is that that not a peep is heard, nothing is stated. It, we all feel like like our Do they even know, but I think and the answer, the question might be that you’re not allowed to just call out every little performance, you know, degradation, I think the question that people start to feel is that when nothing is said to such a blatant thing, you know, that we all think that support is asleep at the stick. So maybe the issue is that you just can’t say anything on you can’t make an incident. Or it’s bad for public company reasons to be calling all those incidents out. But it does fly in the face to those of us who feel it. You know, and see it blatantly, wonder why, you know, such severe degradation of service? And it’s not even like, yes, maybe nice just to see, yes, we’re aware there’s a degradation of service. For the second day in a row, we are researching. Something as simple as that would help.

Pallabi 27:24
I totally agree. I’m just trying to quickly check, because frankly, I was on PTO this week, just yearning back work. I’m

Jordan Fleming 27:37
Pallabi. We’re not trying to put you on the spot, either

Pallabi 27:43
It’s just that I’m not able to answer Joel’s question as to like, what was going wrong? So I’m just quickly checking, like our internal communication? Like, was there something that was figured out? And did we have any support tickets raised? requesting for like, odd, calling out that globiflow is facing some issues? So I was just quickly checking that? The answer for you, but I agree with you if I mean, it’s not just globiflow, it’s overall podio, like whenever we find, or when we see that, okay, we are we have a lot of issues coming in, right, or we know that the delay is increasing, and it’s not coming down for over an hour, or over even 30 minutes, that’s when we do go up to our status page and put out a message out there. And sometimes we also figure to see like, okay, there might be an issue, which we are seeing internally, but we are not seeing any support ticket for it. So that so that not many customers would have been affected with it. So we try to wait till we see that Okay, our issue, people actually seeing any issues with it. And only then we put out ourselves status page, like updates that people don’t panic, who are coming to my watch,

Joel Ordesky 28:58
I’m gonna I’m gonna take my title as support ticket King here in a bit and just ask for those people on the panel to just make clear their feelings. Does anyone have any faith? In general support tickets? And how many times out of 10? Do you not file a support ticket? Because it’s a futile effort?

Mike Demunter 29:21
Yeah, I can say honestly, that’s nine and a half times out of 10. I don’t submit a support ticket anymore, even if it’s a serious issue, just basically gave up on it. And so so probably I’m not sure that the amount of support tickets is a good parameter to to see if something is serious or not, unless

Seth Helgeson 29:43
we could automate the support ticket submission.

Joel Ordesky 29:48
Where we, we simplified, we simplified it on one issue so that we can all file a support incident for the metoo incident, the login thing but again, This goes to the face of that. That’s a support ticket that I’m writing heard on. And I know it’s a global ticket, I’ve had conversations with the support team that it is global ticket, that it is a difficult ticket. Um, but but, you know, it’s just not getting, there’s no collaboration. There’s no collaboration, it’s it’s, it’s, it’s even in a situation like that, where we’re providing a very quick tool that anyone could use, which is much, much faster than then writing a support ticket just allows us to say, Okay, this happened this happened, this happened. It’s the data is not helping, because I don’t think it’s actually being used

Jordan Fleming 30:39
I can I just use jump, I’m gonna just quickly break in on on this. And we, you know, in some ways to, weirdly defend Citrix even though I started the this isn’t this isn’t a problem, a point in that, like, I know, from smrtPhone point of view, that we can’t necessarily replicate something, or we can absolutely see something. So the idea, I would agree with you the frustration of feeling that support tickets are being actioned. And I think one great thing would be to have a, you know, whether that’s within like, some sort of podio app, like we have in a smrtPhone, so that we can at least have a communal, if at least from a partner level communal discussion based on it, but the the idea of not have, you know, if we’re checking, as Pallabi said, checking to see if any tickets have been raised, probably because if they’re not being raised, there is an assumption that, that, okay, well, then, you know, this is there’s not something we really have to worry about. It’s only when we start seeing problems that that you go, Oh, shit, you know, focus in so I can I can understand why they want to see that happen. But I can also understand from a user’s point of view how frustrating that is. So I, Gil, you wanted to break in?

Gil Roberts 31:55
Yes, we have a hand up from the crowd here. Nicolas, your mic is on?

Nicholas from Belgium 32:00
Yes. Thank you. Thank you. Hi, sneakers from Belgium. Um, I had another issue that happened a few times. And I don’t know if you guys also had it. But users been troubled. And I’m trying to make sure I don’t put too much load on the user. But when it happens, there’s no way to really see it, I have to put a support ticket and wait for for maybe an hour before I have an answer. And when a user struggled, everything just shuts nothing works. And it’s, it’s it’s a big problem. So I don’t know if First of all, if I’m the only one having this, this this user troubling. And if there’s some kind of quicker response or way to, to to handle these, because also when it happens, and I have you guys and troubling the user, but I’m also always asking, Can you tell me what I should do to make sure it’s not in trouble? And I never get an answer on the question. So could you guys maybe open it? Could you have some feedback on that?

Pallabi 33:10
I think we did have multiple rounds of discussion on this earlier. So I would like to know, no, I am saying that I had personally had a lot of communication with you on this right when you face this issue. So I’ll actually let the other partners chime in as to how frequently they find this throttling issue coming up to them. Right. So then we could probably figure out like, like, what is it that probably you are automating Nicolas that is causing this issue? Or this is a common issue faced by most of our partners? We do have customers facing the throttling issue, right, the end customers who are using it in bulk. But I want to understand our podio experts. Are the partners also facing this more often.

Seth Helgeson 33:59
Yeah, I think throttled is one of the most infuriating circumstances I’ve ever encountered in the past decade of trying to figure out why things are slow, why things are not. And I was never notified. And I come to find out for two weeks I’ve been battling an issue customers are now set. But I was never notified in advance that a throttling issue or notification was never sent to me that your account is now being throttled. That would be something that would be truly appreciated if that were to happen, because obviously, we want to know that we’re causing issues and slowdowns with our own systems. And we don’t want to get throttled in that respect.

Jordan Fleming 34:38
I think it comes down, it seems to come down and I don’t I don’t want this session to be purely around, you know, challenges or problems we’re having. I think it’s good that we’re addressing them. But I think one of the themes that we’ve always see when it comes to support and problems is that better communication solves most problems. Even if we can’t fix the issue. Communication means that people are aware and can take mitigating steps, whether that is in podio, or even just customer communication. I think communication is hugely important. I’m going to push on now to Pete, I think Gil’s bringing Pete in on this. And then Bill’s written something interesting, I want to get to as well.

Pete Cuff 35:20
All right, everyone. So I just want to kind of build in a little bit on the status update and the support logs and support tickets. From where I sit, just kind of tying a few bits together, I only really tend now to submit support tickets on something I know, as a support issue. My view is that, especially as partners, if there is a status page that is provided by the service supplier, that says here are metrics, you must by inference, know, these metrics yourself, you must be able to look at them yourself. And so what, what, what we certainly do for all of our clients is we encourage them to go and, you know, we educate them that the the support, the sorry, the the monitoring page exists in the first place for podio. Because then they can go and see themselves, the idea is they can see themselves before, you know, bothering us to find out whether there is a global issue or whether it’s something specific with their particular podio platform. So we encourage self service, we encourage self support. And, and therefore, one rather infers that if it’s on that, you know, there is a spike in the stats that it’s being addressed. So, to pallabi’s point of saying, you know, we’re not seeing any support tickets coming in for, let’s say, PWA delays? It’s like,No, you’re right. I don’t, I don’t submit a support ticket to tell you something that’s already on a dashboard. Because I expect you can see the dashboard, because it’s your dashboard. That’s my point.

Jordan Fleming 36:58
My point, I’m sticking to it. Um, I know, I think again, i but i think that i think that kind of goes into the things that we’ve been chatting about, I believe you wrote something that I think is actually important for us to remember when it comes to the things we wish and we look for. And the prioritisation of certain things, I would agree that the two factor is something that has been really important for podio to push on. And I think that’s really good. I just enabled it on myself. So God, I hope I don’t lose those codes. And and I agree with the focus on scalability available and reliability. I would like to see more information on how those metrics are happening. But what about if we if we go to a more like things that we want to see, if we were going to… Pallabi has as asked for the the list of top things we want to would see. And Seth? I think your your list are very good. And I’m sure that we’ve copied them down. What about some of the more? What about things like the ability to filter down? If something does is not there? Not just that it is there? I mean, I would put that personally pretty high on my list. What do you guys think about that?

Seth Helgeson 38:17
I think that’s huge, I think that’d be wonderful.

Nicholas from Belgium 38:21
I totally agree on this. This one is in this one makes you create a lot of fields in podio. So if you could do that straight away, which would make our job easier, and it would be a benefit for you itself. I think also so.

Jordan Fleming 38:35
Absolutely. And is there any other you know, in terms of, you know, I suppose, Matthew, you mentioned expansion in line. Can you can you give is Matthew got the ability to talk? Or let me

Gil Roberts 38:54
check. Right out? Let me well as well.

Jordan Fleming 38:57
Yeah, Matthew, do you? And we’ll bring you in, and you can just expand a bit on on what you mean about that. We I can’t add him in. They I think Matthew, do you want to expand a bit on what you mean?

Matthew 39:19
Yeah, let me turn up my mic a little bit. And related to your earlier question. That is not what I would prioritise at all. And I defer to some of the ones that that Seth brought up and add to that the the the current date that there are plenty of workarounds that should be kind of baked into the system. And I’d say that’s more priority as well. But speaking to expansion, is the recurring thing that comes up in terms of the three clicks or the clickability. You guys have brought up. And so we’re using calculation fields for a lot of related items in that sense, but in people that are more comfortable with the UI of say air table or Salesforce and are using those as project management or sources of record, what you have access to grab outside of calc fields. As we were talking about kind of the weight of positioning information, and even how Seth use that, just, I wouldn’t again, prioritise it. But if if I click on an item, I’m being taken, obviously, to that relational item, and so you lose a lot of stay in line, condense and an offer max information, even though oftentimes, five bits of information and layout options are enough. And so potentially just increasing that, that five bits of information would even help that and, and avoid the need for expansion, quote, unquote, as I read in the chat box, so. Sure,

Jordan Fleming 40:47
that’s a that’s a really, that’s a good point as well, I mean, anything that can my view is anything that can stop people from having to move is usually a good thing. Um, you know, without question. Do you, Mike?

Mike Demunter 41:04
Gill, is

Jordan Fleming 41:05
there any? You know, aside from things, we’ve talked about any kind of key things you do want to get across on this and have a discussion about?

Gil Roberts 41:14
Yeah, you know, there’s some great points about what priority either extensions fixes, you know, whatever we want to call them that ponies should be looking at, and I know, it is, somebody made a point earlier, it is very difficult for them to make changes, right, because we’re, I know, as a developer community, we’re probably the most vocal community. But there’s also hundreds, hundreds of thousands, thousands 10s, thousands of users that don’t even know that the developer community exists. And they have their own sets of needs. So it’s really hard to identify and please both kind of populations. I’ve always thought, and I don’t think this is immediately actionable, but just something strategic, which is because the developer group has matured a little bit if there was something that and I think this came up recently on one of the updates about having like a professional level, or a podio, like a like a certification, like a partner certification or something to identify us, as advanced users, or even people that do configurations for others. And I think it came up when we were talking about API keys that there was only going to be five Well, for people that built product and, and do lots and lots of services. I think it came up that there may be a little restrictive, however, it’s necessary, right? We don’t want we don’t want every Tom, Dick and Harry that’s, that’s out there as a user to grab a bunch of API keys and start missing us misusing his Jolie component of this bad neighbour philosophy. So it, you know, where’s the balance? always thought that for our crowd, that are advanced users that understand the bad neighbour effect, understand what you know, the environment that we’re operating in, as best as we can, that we might, we may have a different level, a pro level or a developer level. That would give things like more API keys, maybe different accesses those kinds of those kinds of things. I mean, super specific examples. But I think from the conversations we’re having that may be appropriate.

Mike Demunter 43:30
Yeah, what are your thoughts? But I’d like to jump into that. My what I would like to see what you’re doing is actually charging more money for people that use more of the system saying, suppose you and reintroduce limits, and they say if you go above the limit, you have to pay more. So that’s good for for Citrix. They make more money. It’s good for users, because they totally understand. I’m really more and more using the system. I have no problem with paying more. And it’s also good for your scalability. So yeah, definitely, I would love to see that kind of focus.

Gil Roberts 44:10
I echo that 100% I think it’s severely underpriced. You know, not, don’t wear us out

Unknown Speaker 44:20
about this.

Gil Roberts 44:22
But I think for people that have a certain amount of usage is it’s it’s fair, I think everybody understands pay as you go these days, just as a general populace, but I think that there’s got to be a price increase in the future. I mean, here we are as a developer group, and we’re the power users, right, demanding all these features and all that, but we’re also not adding to their budget. Right. And I know Citrix is a large company and they have a lot of investments and a lot of other places, but it’s We all are excruciatingly aware of, you know, podio is just one of the many line items, and it’s a small one. So anything that we can add a little bit of money behind the dollar sign is going to get a little more attention, which helps fund some of these asks that we have, right because they people get paid to make the development, we’re all pretty aware of that. So

Mike Demunter 45:25
yeah.

Nicholas from Belgium 45:27
Even more, maybe they put a limit on free users, is something I don’t understand, you can add as much for users as you want. That doesn’t make any sense to me, to be honest. I don’t know what you guys think about it. But

Gil Roberts 45:42
yeah, better control of and we’ve had to, you know, we’ve run into some people that have existing solutions, and we’re finding out that they’re, yeah, they’re charging people for external users, we immediately remind them of their terms of service and tell them we actually do not take projects that they if they insist, to do business that way. But yeah, there’s there are some abuses out there that could probably be cleaned up, that would be helpful to all of us here that are good, happy paying customers that have clients that are also good, happy paying customers. So, yes, people, people will kind of running around this system and all that. And not using it as intended as

Joel Ordesky 46:25
well. I think that that’s also our obligation. You know, if I find a client who’s abusing the system, you know, and I’m not talking about onesies and twosies, but if I find that, then I I get on the line and tell sara and Pallabi, that there’s something they should check out. I also think we have to have group accountability in our own sense that that, you know, if we see people doing things that are not Good Neighbour things, we need to work to eliminate reduce, we need to be advocates, as much as we are advocates for this is a great system, and we think everyone should use it, we should also be advocates in the forums and everything else to say, you know, that’s not a good way to do that, because you’re burdening the system. I mean, if we’re gonna say to podio, hey, clean this up, we shouldn’t be making a view for every category and every relationship, because it’s a burden on the system. And, you know, whatever. Then we also need to say to, to, to our clients, to people saying, hey, look, let’s be neighbourly. delete those views, you don’t need, don’t do things that are going to take the system down, or just put massive burden upon the system, if there are other ways of doing it, because we have to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. Right,

Jordan Fleming 47:43
right. Well, actually, I want to I want to jump in on the part of the solution part of the problem, because we only got 10 minutes left. And I want to transition that conversation away from from purely that to how do we become a and how do we work with Citrix better to be better ambassadors to new users of podio, it’s a discussion we’ve had many times around the fact that, um, you know, one of the challenges of podio is that you, you can create account, and you log in and you sort of just kind of how, you know, hopefully you figure it out, I do still think that there is a space and a room for I can tell you one of the things we’re gonna be doing with smrtphone relatively soon, is hosting a weekly one hour, you know, drop in webinar that’s just open for anybody. People can come ask questions, etc, etc, etc. Um, and just in order to, you know, because some people get lost in these find the way I think there’s scope, particularly for the partners in here and for and for the Citrix to provide a better resource for bringing people into podio. And for giving them some sort of direction. What do you guys think, in terms of that kind of area? Or do you think that should be just Citrix? Or do you think what we have is good enough right now?

Gil Roberts 49:06
Jordan, I’ll quickly jump in. Because we did get some feedback from yesterday’s sessions. We had several people that attended multiple sessions that were just like, I didn’t even know a developer community existed outside of just what was in the forum, the globiiflow forums there. They didn’t know that they were events they didn’t know about converge, they didn’t know that there was things that I you know, obviously, some of that’s on Citrix marketing, but I think a lot of it is also on us as a community. We’re going to as the international and then meetup podio developer meetups, we’re going to try to take a little bit of charge on that to reach out to that community. I love your idea that one hour weeklies. And it’s not just for us developer community. But, you know, an open open forum. I

Jordan Fleming 49:53
mean, imagine the I’ve always said I’ve said for like five years. Imagine if every time some a user gets added In the podio, they you know, or you know, and Bill is probably going to yell at me right now. But every time we I user is added to podio, if they were put into a, you know, a Citrix podio workspace where they could not only access some of the guys, etc, but also they could see an upcoming webinar schedule and join them. And, and, and, and I can host one every six weeks, everybody, every partner in this room could host one every six weeks. And and you only have to do it, you know, you know, a couple times a year. I just feel like, I feel like there’s, there’s, there’s we’re missing some tricks there. and and, and and Bill, you know, Bill is all up for this idea. I

Gil Roberts 50:45
know. Well, as long as you said, Bill, I think right there. I think Bill, you put the right

Unknown Speaker 50:52
fit bills got

Jordan Fleming 50:52
it exactly. Right. That’s the only problem with that idea.

Gil Roberts 50:54
And the connections list that that actually would probably go on our list of compliantly

Jordan Fleming 50:59
shouldn’t only stop that function of podio actually,

Seth Helgeson 51:02
just shopping. Yeah, yeah, that

Jordan Fleming 51:04
is that is one of those other features in podio. That is that overly helpful, too helpful. Just get the fucking thing out if you want the contacts get like do it. But because that would then mean all those workspaces like smrtphone or, or podio, you know, you could join and not suddenly have 40 million connections in your contacts. Just stop that feature. Right. Takes it right. Yeah,

Seth Helgeson 51:29
yeah, exactly. I think consistency across all of us as partners is going to be really key. And I think Jordan and Gil, your your podcasts, I think if we were to do a series, and I posted this to you, Jordan, a series of what makes you a great consultant, what makes you a great architect, what makes a great developer, what great makes a great partner, by doing these four or five things of knowing, and getting people on the same page of this is how we all function. It allows us to smoothly interact and all be on the same page of how we we push forward this with this development strategy.

Gil Roberts 52:04
I totally agree. And I think it might, I think with a concerted effort and consistent effort over time, that may help with some of our bad neighbour problems for the non developer crowd, the user crowd that are committing because those start getting some of that messaging and go, Oh, well, maybe I shouldn’t make infinite loop globiflows. It starts at 9am. Eastern every Monday. Right?

Seth Helgeson 52:30
Like partners best practices.

Gil Roberts 52:32
Yes, I think there was somebody, I can’t remember I saw it in the form. It was one of those fleeting statuses, somebody made each set of training videos, but I think it was very specific, like globey flow podio if what you said it best there, Seth is like, Where’s the best practice manual. And it’s really hard for Citrix to make documentation about design because they don’t, you know, they run the platform. They do some of the, you know, designs occasionally for customers, but there’s, you know, it’s such a wide universe ways to use the product, it’s almost impossible without a active form, like we have in the globiflow. But that’s, you know, you have to know the going to go before you have to or podio, workflow automation, I should say, and then go click on, hey, I want to join the space, right? It’s not readily obvious for where there’s 10s of thousands of customers, and we only have a few thousand in the support forum. So you just the numbers show a disconnect.

Jordan Fleming 53:30
Well, there you have it. My apologies. We seem to have lost a bit of the audio from the end of the roundtable. It was about an hour discussion. So I guess we’ve lost about 10 minutes of it. fantastic opportunity for us all to get together and chat. It was really great two days. Looking forward to the next one. Please do make sure you like and subscribe to the podcast, give it a share on your social media. Give it a review, give it some stars, everything we can do to get the word out, just helps to introduce more people to podio have a fantastic week, and I’ll see you next week.

Narrator 54:06
You’ve been listening to supercharged with Jordan Samuel Fleming. Subscribe today on iTunes, Google Play or Spotify for your weekly dive into how you can supercharge your business by making it Powered by Podio. Be sure to check out our website www.weregamechangers.com where you can learn more and arrange a 30 minute call with Jordan to help you understand how Podio supercharges you!